I’ve read so much recently in the blogosphere, online, and on Facebook about simplifying as it applies to the Christmas season. My spiritual self, and heart longs for it, and knows it is what God calls me to do. However my physical self lives here in a secular world where at every turn activities, to-do lists, and the case of the “I shoulds” grab at me demanding my time, attention, and sometimes tears. Not all of these are bad things either, or even secular, some are quite spiritual, and of God, but there is only one of me to meet all of the demands, as I’m sure all of us are feeling this time of year.
So, where is the balance? I really want to instill in Madalynn an understanding, and appreciation for the Christmas season that goes beyond Santa, and a ton of presents under the Christmas tree. I want to create traditions she’ll carry on to her children, I want her to understand, and know the true gift of Christmas that came in Christ.
I read a blog post today… HERE about a woman who downsized Christmas by giving her children 3 gifts just like the wise men brought to Jesus…
Three gifts of increasing value. myrrh, frankincense and gold. So starting that year, that’s what we did. Each of our kids received one gold present (the big one, like an X-box game or Lego set), one frankincense present (the middle one, like a DVD or book set) and one myrrh present (the small one, like a new outfit or CD). Three. And we encouraged the grandparents to consider paring down their ebullient over-gifting as well. And we upped the fun value of the stockings by putting more thought into finding inexpensive, creative things to put inside them so that they would grow to love simple, little things.
I love the idea of that, but am challenged in my heart if I could really do it. I get so caught up in seeing something I know Madalynn would love (within reason… I start in August/September so I’m not putting myself into debt to get her presents).
Something else I saw recently (I’m sorry I can’t give the reference… it may have been a friend on Facebook or another blogger… Hannah was it you?) talking about being present for her kids. That has stuck with me since I read it. I want to be ‘present’ with Madalynn to stop, and enjoy the little things about this season. Doing one ornament on her advent calendar each morning, and how excited she gets with something so simple. Getting so excited each night when we notice the outside lights have turned on. Sitting, and watching Christmas movies with her instead of putting them on while I get other things done. My biggest challenge is going to be in the baking department though…. for me to STOP, and really enjoy making cookies with her instead of worrying about the mess, or making sure we get each step right. Twenty to thirty years from now she won’t remember what happened while we made the cookies… she’ll just remember making them.



No comments:
Post a Comment